Monday, September 18, 2006

The trouble with Kathryn



At some point in my life I'm going to wake up one morning and realise that sleeping with capricious, flighty, self-dramatising Euro indie girls is just a coital chest x-ray. Literally, its impossible to have sex with a female boho chick without it turning into some massive drama that saps three or four weeks out of your life.

So anyway, my latest bout of Woman Trouble involves a chance re-encounter with an old flame who I caught on the re-bound from her last relationship disaster. Oh, and she's French. Worse than that, a Parisian. Alarm bells rang but, as usual, I shut them out.

The reason is, Kathryn's a girl I find myself irresistibly drawn towards. She's the personification of the dark, gamine, doe-eyed 'free-spirit' girl from the French films, who, when someone says they love her she looks sullenly into the middle distance and mutters "We do not need to know each other to love. Perhaps... perhaps we do not have to love." Before walking out and skipping along the side of a canal.
You just know that, magnetic as she appears, as a lover she would be a total nightmare. Naturally I fell in love with her.

The first conversation we ever had saw her talk for around ten minutes about her love for various earnest female singer-songwriters, and the moment in life you get a gold star on your work is when you realise that kinda stuff doesn't actually matter when you're falling for someone. We even had sex for the first time whilst listening to Joan Baez singing protest songs. Nevertheless, I made sure I had a say in what was and wasn't played during love-making from then on.

Our first goodbye was on a winter's dawn on the south coast. I stood looking out into the thick fog lying over the English Channel, freezing my knackers off while Kathryn was sorting out her ticket for the ferry. She refused to fly and 'morally objected' to the Channel Tunnel, so it was to be a seven hour journey, or whatever it is, in a giant, floating motorway service station for her, and an awkward farewell for me.
Her studies over here had come to an end, and our increasing amount of arguments had helped her make up her mind that she would heed the call of her father - who, disconcertingly enough, was someone very high up in the Paris police force - and return home.

There was nothing ethereal or romantic about that foggy morning; it was leaden, chest-clogging thick and grey, grey everywhere. Breakfast in the caff was a bitter, tar-juice black coffee for me and a cigarette for her. Even here was drained of all colour, except...
All except, I found myself noticing, Kathryn's tongue, seen in glimpses, stirring in the bed of her mouth, as she rattled on about god-knows-what. My eyes were drawn to its girlish pinkness as I watched her speak - not listen. Wet and candy-pink, petal pink, the same pink as her private parts and, surely, tasting of sugar and spice.

I could write an epic poem about her tongue. I should write an epic poem about her tongue, instead I'll just type some unreadable shit onto the internet. It's just the way I roll, baby. But just let me say that receiving fellatio from Kathryn was like being benedicted by angels. The pleasure focus, the room-spinning gentleness, the planet-colliding insistence... and that tongue wandered over me everywhere; in my mouth, in my ears, everywhere. Up my bum, in between my toes, in my navel, everywhere.

And, yeah, she was - is - a great fuck. Even though things between us had gone as sour as my coffee, I still, at this too fucking late a stage, found my fondness towards her resurfacing. Never mind the tongue thing, I remembered how much I loved her soft, charmingly small hands, and the curl of hair behind her ear that had escaped from her hair clips, which probably annoyed her, and how her eyebrows were like two quick dashes from an artist's brush.

But we just couldn't stand each other anymore, so we said goodbye.

Now we lie curled in a familiar pose: me nuzzling the back of her neck, my hands holding her breasts something like a human bra, and I'm nestled comfortably in-between her buttocks. Now what, I wonder?

It's not about carrying torches or an inability to move on or anything, but I tend not to fall out of love with women. There just doesn't seem to be an 'off' switch. It never feels as absolute as all that. When relationships eventually come to an end, then the scales have tipped in negative favour. There is anger and hurt and what-have-you, but they all subside over time and all past relationships are left as symbols of my own failures or 'treasured moments' that can never be recaptured.

Even as I hold her body to me, I know I'm - we're - making another silly mistake. I breathe in the smell of her hair and she stares at the wall.


`

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not about carrying torches or an inability to move on or anything, but I tend not to fall out of love with women.

I do not know your age, Dielo, but the wisdom in those words is timeless. Very few men or women realize that truth during their lifetimes. Which is probably a cogent argument for reincarnation, since it takes a couple of lifetimes to figure this out.

You deserve an award, Dielo, and I hope you won't mind that several months ago I presented the same award to Magdelena. Don't quit your job -- it is only a poem, but perhaps the following stanzas will be remembered on mornings grey, grey everywhere.

...The flesh yearns to converse with other flesh.
Each pore loves to linger over its particular story.
Let these seconds not be full of self-recrimination

and apology. What is desire but the wish for some
relief from the self, the prisoner let out
into a small square of sunlight with a single
red flower and a bird crossing the sky, to lean back

against the bricks with the legs outstretched,
to feel the sun warming the brow, before returning
to one's mortal cage, steel doors slamming
in the cell block, steel bolts sliding shut?


Desire, by Stephen Dobyns

You can find the entire text of the poem here

20 September, 2006  
Blogger Mu Ling said...

I've been waiting to see what comments other people make. C'mon, folks. Get with it.

I wasn't really sure what to say about this post. It's beautifully written, yes. But part of me wants to ask: What is the appeal of women like this? Is it their physical beauty? Does this put the lie to the whole "what's beautiful inside matters more than what you look like on the outside" thing? Why is it that some women can get away with all this moodiness and drama? I don't know. You probably don't either.

Sorry for making this be about my own insecurities. It's a gorgeous post.

21 September, 2006  
Blogger Dielo said...

Mu: Of course, the individual in question is exactly that: an individual and not [just] a 'type', but I take you're point completely. I'll just leave it for someone else to sort out the whys of it.
But I suppose it's the equivalent of those women who - semi-proudly, it seems at times - say they are attracted to "bastards". Now it's clear to me, having been around such men (esp when women aren't around), that a more accurate description of them would be: complete morons. But saying that you're attracted to a complete moron doesn't sound as sexy or 'exciting' as being attracted to a bastard, but, from this direction anyway, it's still sometimes perplexing.

But I'm really very tired, I can barely type straight, and I'm going to bed. But thanks for blah etc *snore*...

21 September, 2006  
Blogger Mu Ling said...

True: the individual in question is an individual and not a "type". Yet somehow, when we write about a person, they become typified? Typical? Something of that nature. Your post even gestured at the typey-ness of this person (gamine, etc.) Yet having read your response to my comment, I think, "Why didn't I see it? We do fall in love with a particular person, and with the way we feel when we are with that particular person." Makes sense to me. Maybe I should reread the poem Kochanie posted, too.

And around we go. Wherever you and your Katherine end up, I will enjoy reading whatever you may have to say about it.

All best,

Mu Ling

22 September, 2006  
Blogger nina said...

"We even had sex for the first time whilst listening to Joan Baez singing protest songs. Nevertheless, I made sure I had a say in what was and wasn't played during love-making from then on."

Oh you poor dear! How ever did you manage to keep it up? lol!

Lovely story darling! I truly hung on each word and your description of this girl almost made me fall in love with her.

xoxo,
nina

26 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful

03 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Dielo, you write beautifully.

19 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"who, when someone says they love her she looks sullenly into the middle distance and mutters "We do not need to know each other to love. Perhaps... perhaps we do not have to love." Before walking out and skipping along the side of a canal"

ha...haha.

i stumbled across you today. This one tiny piece has made me bookmark you. Brilliant.

elise

20 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home